Friday, January 7, 2011

Some Dad Advice From An Unusual Source

So I have this friend, his name is Erich, and he's a little weird.  But that's okay because we're all a little weird; however, at times I would say Erich is a little more weird than others.  Hmmm...I never really thought about that until right now. 

You need some back story people:  My son's baptism is coming up.  I'm very excited.  I view godparents a group of people to help my child on his path of faith, love, and spirituality...whatever those may be for him.  So, little Ian has a lot of godparents.  Now, only a couple with be "recognized" by the church.  I don't really feel as if this is a big deal because all of the people will be a part of Ian's life, no matter what.  So, Erich and his wife Mary (I totally hooked them up) are coming to the baptism.  My step mom was saying family only at first and then when she told me she invited a few of her friends, I did the same thing.  I couldn't invite everyone though.  Through a series of silly messages on FB, Erich wanted to know if Ian has teeth.  He's teething, but no teeth.  I told him that I would help tell him all about babies and this was his response: 

"1) They cry: put food or liquid in face and bounce close to body, but not so much that they puke. Babies love bouncing."  How true.  They really do love to be bounced and I don't really know why, but it makes them happy.  Good call Erich!

"2) They Puke or leak: Always, always have a towel or poncho between you and the baby, they will in someway share with you something that was in them whether it be puke, pee, poop, food, or drool. It will happen &; often, be ready..."  Again, how true.  Just today while burping Ian, he spit up burped.  That's what I call them.  I, of course, forgot a cloth for him.  I had to change my pants. 

"3) They Sleep: Randomly or when well feed (will leak)."  I think he's referring to the fact that they pee while sleeping and don't know to hold it yet.  Again, how true he is!

"4) They require visual stimulation while awake, if not being bounced (see 1). They are awake randomly."  They do require some for of visual stimulation when awake, we have those toys.  The toys are to help with the changing and developing eye sight, coordination, and to entertain.  They are awake at odd times.  Just when you get them sleeping through the night, they start to teeth. 
"5) Women become dumb around babies, I don't know why?"  This might be my favorite one.  We do get stupid over babies. 

"6) I need no more training, thank you..."  His conclusion.  Well, you pretty much got it Erich.  You don't need any training about babies.  Good call.  Then he followed up with the most important tidbit of advice and information...

"Oh Shit!... I forgot the most important thing I learned about babies...and it's pretty damn important...
They are lemmings, be careful, illicit support when ever possible... Don't let them die."

Erich, how right you are...it's really important actually. We do need to be careful, get support, and not let anything happen to them.  That's really good advice.  Thank you...you know a lot more than you give yourself credit. 

Never forget that the little person in your arms needs you all the time, and though the words were not written in that way, I think my friend was saying that.  Children need us because they will jump off that cliff.  They don't know better, we have to teach them.  Start being a good parent and know that the little life in your arms, thinks you're the greatest person ever.  You are their hero. 

No comments: