Friday, May 27, 2011

A Cute Baby, Flat Daddy, BBQ, and Farewell

Yesterday I woke up ready to go. I fixed up my hair and picked out an outfit. I was so happy to go and see my military family. I love my military family. I was almost giddy when I was leaving. As I drove to Jeremy’s squadron, I sang out loud, talked to Ian, and called my friend Cori about my visit to Richmond. I am trying to set up a historic walking tour of Richmond and I would like to see the Patrick Henry re-enactment. I was reciting the speech to Ian and telling him all about nation’s history.


As I drove up to the gate and showed my ID card, the security person commented on how “I’m the one.” I was taken aback by the comment. Apparently these security people talk. They let each other know about the other cars and occupants. I find that hysterically funny. The really funny part is that I had FDJ in the front seat and that’s why “I’m the one.” I drove up last week some time and rolled down the window and my giant cutout of my husband freaked out the security person. He warned others not to be freaked out. I told the guard that I’m not crazy and he reassured me that he doesn’t think I’m crazy. He thinks it’s cool what I’m doing for my family.


What I’m doing for my family…well, I’m trying to do as many normal things as possible. I’m trying to get us back into some form of a routine so my child will feel secure. This is why I go to squadron functions. Yes, I’m the FRG leader/Key Spouse so I should be there, but it’s more than that. This is a great group of people that I enjoy being around and if Jeremy was here, I would be at the BBQ with the cute baby. Of course I was jeered a little when I walked in with my flat husband and baby, but who cares. It’s so great having Jeremy around.

Here’s the one thing about military life that I have mixed emotions on: moving. I love to move. I love the new adventure and going to a new place. I try to like every place I’ve been too, but sometimes that just doesn’t work. Yesterday, someone I really like and respect said farewell, and I will miss her. This is the part of moving that I don’t like. I don’t like missing my friends. Friends should be close…they are the family we choose.


It was fun yesterday being around my friends and family. It was good seeing everyone. The food was great and the laughter could be heard for miles. It’s the days like this; they aren’t spectacular or life changing. They are light hearted, good, and relaxing. It’s what I need, and it’s what my family needs.


We had a dunk tank yesterday, and it was fun!

2 comments:

Ilona Baumhofer said...

The crazy things we do to stay sane! I love reading about your adventures. You describe military live so well. Anyone who even considers marrying a military (wo)man should read your blog!

Susan said...

Thank you Ilona! You're the reason I started this up again!