Friday, May 20, 2011

A Daddy at Dinner

We like to have dinner together. Most couples do. We would cook together, laugh, catch up on our day, discuss the world, and in my heart I would know that it was these moments that made my marriage great. My marriage is still great, but marriage is strangely separated right now. As we brought Ian more and more into our lives we realized that he needs to see us doing these things together. Ian needs to see his parents being in love and having a good time together. Now Ian is eating solids. Some food he can feed himself, and some food he can't. So every night, we sit at a table, with Ian between us, laughing, eating, and sharing our love. He grins and laughs almost the entire time.

Last night, as I was getting ready to feed Ian and sit down to eat, Ian started asking for Dada. He looked over to Jeremy’s chair and asked for Dada. I knew what had to be done. Flat Jeremy sat in his chair and Ian was delighted again with the completion of our family.


This won’t be a long entry, but it will be one that means something to me. It’s the little things, the smallest, tiniest things in life that make a difference. If putting up a flat cut out of my husband makes both me and my son happy, then so be it. The Flat Jeremy will come out and we will be happy to see it. It’s good to have him around, even if it’s not the real him. It’s just good to have him around. Thank you Ian for asking for your Daddy last night; I won’t forget to include Daddy again.


No comments: