Sunday, April 1, 2012

Aim High By Being Army Strong

I live in Fayetteville, North Carolina.  If any of my readers know anything about military life, they will know that Fayetteville is home to Fort Bragg.  And Fort Bragg seems to be home to it all.  

Fort Bragg, NC is home to the 82nd Airborne Division.  The Division has a long and glorious military history that can be googled...no OPSEC violations here!  The Division is part of a bigger picture known as The XVIII or 18th Airborne Corp who are called the "Sky Dragons."  We, who are lucky enough to be a part of this rich military history, are honored, humbled, and fearsome.  

Every day I drive onto Fort Bragg and I'm like a kid in a candy shop.  I find it to be so exciting.  There is an energy field that surrounds post.  Not a real one because I don't think they have been invented, but a figurative one.  Fort Bragg is full of energy.  The soldiers here are young and old, they are new, middle of their career, or close to retiring, they are sweet and kind, they are Army Strong.  There are times when I feel that Fort Bragg is truly the center of the military universe.  

Since my arrival in Nov 2010 to Fort Bragg, I have experienced military life that I knew existed, but it never felt real.  I was a stranger in what I thought was a familiar land.  Turned out I was a stranger in a strange land.  As Jeremy checked into his squadron, we both hit the ground running with a tiny baby in tow.  Jeremy was getting brought up to speed, and I became the Key Spouse.  The Operations Tempo on Fort Bragg is out of control.  It's high...constant...serious.  These people don't mess around with our nation's defense.  You all should be glad.  

Overwhelming doesn’t accurately describe my days, my world was turned upside down and I was getting used to being a mom.  My head was spinning round and round and there were days that I could barely keep up.  A decision had to be made; moreover, a choice had to be made.  The combining of both worlds, Army and Air Force was the only way I was going to survive those first few months.   

Within a few months, Pope AFB closed its doors and became Pope AAF.  Left behind were 3,000-5,000 Air Force personnel and their families.  I felt even more lost than before.  At least when I had an AFB to retreat to when I felt confused by the Army world, life would come together for me.  Now, Fort Bragg is a joint base.  I don't mean joint like the rest of them...I mean JOINT!   Fort Bragg was on the verge of doing something really different.  The AF here is now a tenant unit and both branches truly have to depend on each other for all forms of family support.

It was in these months, submerging myself into the Army FRG world, and becoming an Army/AF wife that I created my personal mission statement. Aim High by being Army Strong. 

In the year since we have truly joint forces, the families at Fort Bragg have learned something. We have learned that there isn’t much difference between ourselves, just a different uniform.  Our branches deploy, both branches miss their deployed service member, and both branches experience that loss that when their airman or soldier is gone.

Change is scary even when wanted.  Fort Bragg and Pope have been almost childlike in their approach to this change.  These powerful military branches know that there really isn’t a monster under the bed, but the little kid says there still is.  It’s the unknown that’s the scary monster and it’s that fear that could make even the strongest a little insecure. 

Fort Bragg, my advice to you is: keep on reaching out to Air Force families.  Remember that communication and education are the keys to change.  My hats off to you for trying so hard this last year!  The road hasn’t been without its speed bumps, but you keep on trying.  Thank you! 

Pope AAF, my advice to you is:  communicate, communicate, communicate.  Always ask questions and don’t be afraid to ask for change when told no.  The path ahead of us is going to be rocky, but if Air Force families at Fort Bragg remember to aim high while being army strong, then life will be truly exceptional for us.  




No comments: