Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Long Haul

This has been an interesting week for me. I started school again, my aunt's cancer has returned, and the two items that bother me the most...in no particular order...my mom is finally leaving Germany and my husband is going to Iraq. Iraq is a small country that exists in the news for me until now. It is part of my reality. I am scared. I have never been so scared in my life. I know I'm supposed to be strong for Jeremy, but I am afraid for him. I have had friends deploy there many times over the last five years and I was scared for them as well. I just hope beyond the realm of hope that he will be safe. I am though, so proud of him. As I pour out my heart through these words so old and new friends can read them, I hope for understanding. I hope that these next few months with Jeremy will be the best ever, and I hope that when he returns we will have even better.

The other item on my list of interesting is knowing that my parents are finally leaving Germany. A door will close on my childhood and teenage years and I will never have the home I grew up in again. It's strange to me to know that I will only live in Germany again if we get stationed there. I will miss it. I have spent over 20 years in Germany and it will be sad to never have it back again the way I have it now. But it is good to know that Germany shaped me into the person I am now. I think when I go back in December, I will finally take Jeremy to Zweibrucken. He'll love it!

So, I have a long haul ahead of me. I will keep my chin up, and hope for the best and expect just that. I will tie my yellow ribbons and I will say my goodbyes. I will move forward and enjoy the new in my life.

No comments: