Sunday, August 24, 2008

Old Times and Old Places

I wrote this so long ago, but I have been thinking about it again. I keep finding more and more people from my high school days and I love it. But it's bittersweet because I miss those places so much and they are truly gone forever. I don't understand why it bothers me so much. I don't particularly miss high school. I liked, but I always wanted more. I wanted my 20's. I wanted to be on my own and do whatever I wanted. I don't get it some days. I guess your memories are sweeter than the actual moment.

Please read and understand us military kids. Thank You!



I have been thinking a lot about where I grew up. I think talking to Kari yesterday has something to do with it, but also the other blasts from the past that I've had recently. It's weird to know that you grew up in Germany. That your home is a town with a closed Army Post and Air Force Base. What's even more weird and sad is to know that you will never have it back again the way it used to be. Those days are long gone and over. Your high school is now a designer outlet mall that the Germans love. I don't know why I am thinking so much about this time. I get so lonely for those days when I was growing up in Germany. I miss our old commissary on Kreuzberg Kaserne and I can't remember if the Air Base had one. I remember being able to walk all over that post and I remember how friendly it was.

I wonder if anyone else knows what has gone on there? Do they know the memories that the housing area holds for people like myself? Do they know that the town of Zweibrucken is one the greatest places in Germany? I think it's strange how I couldn't go and see my home when I was just living in Germany. I guess I prefer the memories.

I think I will go home when I go back to Germany this winter. I will go home to show Jeremy where I learned how to ride my bike and trick or treated for years. I will show him the place where I had my first cigarette and where I had my first kiss. I will show him where I went to prom and where my schools were. I think he needs to see these places that seemingly exist in memory only.

I love the blasts from the past. They awaken thoughts in you that seemed forgotten. I'm so happy that my home is not forgotten as most places are for military kids.

No comments: